Sunday 31 July 2011

Blog 17 - Domino - Competition Entry

Just thought I would very quickly share a competition entry with you guys, I have never entered a photography competition before and i was quite pleased with the results. I have been following the stobist blog recently and he sets boot camp competitions every so often. These are tasks to get you thinking about the way you light your shots so I thought I would give it ago.



The brief was as follows:
"For this assignment, you will be required to photograph a local object -- something of significance to your community. As with the first, the most difficult part of the job will be deciding exactly what to shoot -- and why."

This is what i got...


Details
I am currently living and working in Barbados for a wedding photography company. As this is a very new and different community for me (as i am originally from London) this was not the easiest of tasks. While exploring the island i started to notice huddles of people around tables all over the place. On the sides of roads, at bus stops, on the beaches and outside restaurants. They were all playing Dominos, I chose this as my object as I think it has a great significance to the community. It brings people from all ages together to play a game and while there doing that there catching up, talking and just being with each other which i think is great.
(Lighting - 580EX set at 1/128 power was on the table behind the dominos with no modifiers, I arranged them in such away that the dominos them self became a gobo to stop the flash directly hitting my lens. 1/60 f5.6 ISO 200 taken on a Canon 7D. It was a nice surprise to find that each domino also acted as a reflector to light up the face of the one behind it.)
The Deadline is today at 17.00 in America some where I am not expecting any think from this as there are some great photos that have been entered but i just thought i would share :D
I have actually been working to just not had a chance to right them up yet but i will soon i promise ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment